Embarking on a journey of education in a foreign country is an exciting endeavor, but it comes with its own set of responsibilities. For international students studying in Canada on a study permit, the flexibility to change universities or programs is a valuable feature. However, it is crucial to understand the conditions, requirements, and consequences associated with such changes to ensure a smooth academic transition.
Conditions for Changing Universities:
To change your university or program in Canada while studying on a study permit, there are specific conditions set by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that you must adhere to:
- Acceptance at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI): Ensure that the new university is listed as a Designated Learning Institution in Canada.
- Active Enrollment: You must be actively studying while in Canada to be eligible for a university transfer.
Requirements for Updating Information with IRCC:
When changing your university or program, it is essential to inform the immigration authorities promptly. Here’s what you need to provide:
- Online Account: Access your online account on the IRCC website.
- Study Permit Details: Have your study permit number on hand.
- DLI Information: Obtain the Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number of your new institution.
- New Acceptance Letter: Provide your new Student ID and the start date from the acceptance letter of the new institution.
Procedure to Inform IRCC:
Follow these steps to inform IRCC about your university or program transfer:
- Log in to your account on the IRCC website.
- Locate the option for “Designated Learning Institution Student Transfer.”
- Enter your study permit application number and search for your application.
- Fill in the necessary details about your new school or program.
- Confirm the transfer after reviewing the information.
Changing DLI Outside Canada:
If you’re changing your university before entering Canada, failure to inform immigration officers may result in being denied boarding.
If Your Application is In Progress:
Submit a new letter of acceptance using the IRCC web form to inform authorities about the change if your application is still under review.
If Your Application Has Been Approved:
If your study permit application has been approved, submit a new application with the updated information and be prepared for a visa application fee.
Studying in Quebec:
For students moving to a school in Quebec, acquiring a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) is mandatory. Existing students must contact the MIFI to update information regarding university, course, or level of study.
Consequences of Not Informing IRCC:
Failure to inform IRCC about university changes may lead to severe consequences, including:
- Possible deportation.
- Difficulty in future entry to Canada.
- Visa application rejections.
Studying in Canada is a privilege that comes with responsibilities. Adhering to the regulations set by IRCC ensures a hassle-free academic journey. Keep your documents updated, follow the proper procedures, and enjoy a fulfilling educational experience in the beautiful landscapes of Canada.